Assistant Professor of Interior Design
Posted Friday, November 17, 2023
- Texas Christian University
- Company Office Address
- College of Fine Arts
- Work Location
• The full-time tenure-track position is a nine-month contract, 100% in-person on TCU’s campus.
• Teaching responsibilities include three undergraduate courses in interior design per semester including studio and seminar formats. Studio courses require industry-specific digital media. Teaching assignments will be based upon the applicant’s experience and expertise.
• Commitment to work toward tenure by maintaining an appropriate level of peer-reviewed research and creative activity.
• Advise undergraduate majors
• Service to the Department, College and University. normally involving committee work
• Commitment to maintaining the program’s long-standing CIDA accreditation.
• Commitment to engaging with the department’s established collegial work environment.
• Continued Professional Development.
• Graduate degree in Interior Design, Architecture or a closely related professional field, or international equivalent.
• Five years of professional practice in Interior Design, Architecture or a closely related professional field. or 18 completed graduate-level credit hours toward an Interior Design or closely related graduate degree
• One year of unsupervised, college-level interior design teaching experience.
• Interest in inter- and multi-disciplinary collaboration and its relationship to problem-solving and storytelling in design.
• Evidence of strength in design practice and teaching.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Three years of unsupervised, college-level interior design teaching experience.
• Proficiency in using and teaching AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite and similar software.
The widely recognized and respected Department of Design invites applicants for the Assistant Professor of Interior Design position. The Department offers the BFA in Interior Design, The BFA in Graphic Design, the BS in Design Studies, and a minor in Architectural Lighting Design. The department serves approximately 200 undergraduate majors in the department. Upon filling this position, the program will have 12, permanent faculty positions with generous adjunct support from the vibrant Fort Worth/Dallas professional design community. Department faculty enjoy a high level of collegiality, valuing diversity, equity and inclusion. All interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
The Interior Design Program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA). The Department of Design is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
The TCU College of Fine Arts is home to six academic units: the School of Art, the School for Classical & Contemporary Dance, the School of Music, the Department of Design, the Department of Fashion Merchandising, and the Department of Theatre. The college is comprised of approximately 1000 students and offers 33 undergraduate degree programs and 24 advanced degree programs to prepare the next generation of creative leaders in the arts. Students in the College of Fine Arts study with renowned professors and guest artists, annually present more than 350 public performances and display art, design, and research in juried exhibitions and competitions. The college also offers a minor and certificate in Arts Leadership & Entrepreneurship and oversees two on-campus art galleries.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Screening will begin December 1, 2023. On-campus interviews will be scheduled during the Spring Semester, 2024.
Applications should include a cover letter; a detailed cv, a one-page statement of teaching philosophy inclusive of approach to design instruction and approach to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in academia and to the larger public; a .pdf visual portfolio file consisting of annotated samples of professional design work with clear citations of applicant’s role in each project; and if applicable, 20 examples of student work from courses taught with clear annotation of year in program (1, 2, 3, 4) and design problem and/or purpose of assignment; at least three signed, confidential letters of recommendation should be sent by recommenders or dossier service to email@example.com.
To apply, upload all application materials to https://jobs.tcu.edu/en-us/listing/ [Select “College of Fine Arts” to more easily find the listing].
TCU is dedicated to an inclusive learning community and actively seeks applications from diverse candidates with the mission of creating a supporting environment for future ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community.
Please see link below for more information
- Job Type
- Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits for domestic partners are available.