Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2023
- Texas Christian University
- Company Office Address
- 3101 Bellaire Drive North Fort Worth, Texas 76109
- Work Location
The Interior Designer is responsible for supporting interior design and construction by assisting in needs assessment; recommending materials and products; operating computer-aided design system to produce plans; negotiating design issues with vendors and customers.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Assists with review of spatial planning and new construction by meeting with contractors/vendors and clients to develop layouts; attending design meetings; evaluating and updating design standards and appropriateness to client needs, requests and expectations.
2. Recommends interior designs by researching and recommending furniture, wall and floor finish materials; using presentation drawings, hand constructed presentation boards and CAD programs showing scheduled furniture layouts and finish materials to clients and produce design and construction drawings on applicable projects.
3. Monitors project budgets by assisting with/developing cost estimates; review contractor/vendor invoices; recommend approval for payment.
4. Coordinate with contractors/vendors and clients to develop and oversee the schedule of furniture used in layouts, with model identification information and preparation of documentation to order furniture.
5. Researches products, materials, FF&E systems, lighting fixtures, performance metrics, and existing standards for use in anticipated and actual campus projects, as well as for the development of an interior design & furniture campus standard manual.
6. Assists in developing and maintaining a 5-year strategy for renewal and replacement of FFE in public interior and exterior spaces across campus.
7. Assists in managing the Environmental Graphics and Wayfinding activities of internal staff and consultants to ensure efforts are aligned with the vision and stated goals of the University. Ensures proper coordination with various university stakeholders, specifically Marketing and Communications for branding and messaging.
8. Provides minimal project management duties as necessary, by reviewing space planning and new construction with contractors/vendors and clients to develop layouts; attending design meetings; evaluating design standards and appropriateness to client needs, requests and expectations.
9. Maintains reference library and sample materials by inventorying, organizing, and updating items, and coordinating with vendors to keep current on the latest products and best practices.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in interior design or interior architecture or equivalent experience.
• 3 to 5 years’ experience in a design function or design sales support role.
Preferred Education & Experience:
• Experience working with higher education design & construction standards and furniture standards, either as a consultant or with an institution.
• Experience in the various phases of interior design projects, from programming through schematic and design development, construction documentation, construction administration, furniture installation, and project close-out records.
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
• Valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Must be insurable under the university motor vehicle requirements.
Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
• NCIDQ certification, or licensure within respective field, or interest in completing exams
• LEED AP certified, or interest in completing exams
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of customer service techniques.
• Knowledge of space planning and design.
• Knowledge of basic office techniques.
• Skill in the following software applications: Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, InDesign, Photoshop or other comparable presentation tool. Preferred skill or familiarity with Revit.
• Skill in oral, written, and interpersonal communication.
• Ability to deliver interior design assignments with general direction and minimal supervision, as well as work independently and collaboratively with internal staff and contractors/vendors and clients toward design solutions.
• Knowledge of building codes and ADA/TAS requirements.
• Ability to prepare and interpret construction documents.
• Ability to evaluate and make recommendations to improve operations.
• Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Job Type